What Are The Most Common Symptoms of Hearing Loss?
Hearing loss gradually becomes worse as you age. We start losing our hearing during childhood but it involves the highest pitches. These high pitches that are lost before adulthood are not important for speech understanding. As we age, hearing loss starts to include pitches that are critical to speech. Some of the first sounds we lose are / s, t, f, th, k /, certain birds, crickets, and whispers.One in three people between the ages of 65 and 74 have a hearing loss. Nearly half of those over 75 year old already have a hearing loss. Hearing loss cannot be reversed but can be helped by special treatments for your needs. Talk to your Audiologist if you have signs of hearing loss.
Symptoms of hearing loss may include:
- You may think that other people sound like they’re mumbling.
- You may have difficulty hearing in noisy situations, like conferences, restaurants, malls, or crowded rooms.
- You have your TV or radio turned up to a high volume.
- Sound is muffled.
- You may read lips or watch people’s faces when they speak to you.
- Others complain you do not hear well.
- Difficulty following conversation or dialogue.
- Asking people to repeat what they said.
- You have a history of being around loud noise, recreational or occupational.
- You may feel stressed out from not understanding what others are saying.
- You feel annoyed at other people because you can’t hear them.
- You may feel embarrassed to meet new people or go to social situations.
- You feel nervous about trying to hear.
- You withdraw from social events because of difficulty hearing.
- You avoid noisy environments do to difficulties hearing.
- Do you have a family history of hearing loss?
- Do you have diabetes, heart, circulation or thyroid problems?
- Have you been exposed to loud sounds?
- Do you take medications that can harm the hearing system?
- Do you have ringing in your ears or tinnitus?
- Do you have vertigo or dizziness?
Symptoms of Hearing Loss | Treatments:
If you have noticed any of these symptoms of hearing loss, go to an Audiologist or your local hearing care professional for a hearing test. With the results of your hearing test, your Audiologist will offer you treatments for your needs like assistive hearing devices or hearing aids. You will soon be able to hear things you haven’t heard in a long time.
Symptoms of Hearing Loss | Dr Mike’s Hearing Express
At Dr. Mike’s Hearing, we recommend everyone to get a baseline of their hearing, no matter what age you are. This baseline can determine if any hearing loss is present and we can recommend how to preserve it. We offer Free hearing tests to our community in an effort to promote hearing conservation. Hearing loss sneaks up on you, Get a Hearing Test Today! Call us at (908) 722-4022.